So, as always, I have tried to find a few little tricks to keep meal times fun, family occasions where the food is plentiful, mainly healthy and definitely frugal. I know not everyone likes to spend every evening in the kitchen preparing meals and trying to do wonders with a wilted lettuce but sometimes, if we want to be getting anywhere near a balanced diet on a budget, it has to be done.
If I only have enough money for a few store cupboard essentials I will make sure I always have a good stock of:
- Flour- Self Raising, Plain and Bread flour.
- Salt- cooking/table salt
- Olive Oil- although other oils can usually be substituted
- A large tub of cooking butter (whatever is on offer)
- A few blocks of solid fat eg stork, lard etc
- Sugar- as many varieties as possible but always Caster and Granulated
- Sachets of fast acting Yeast
- Naan Bread
- Tortilla Wraps
- Pizza Bases