Monday 29 September 2014

Mighty fine Sunday dinner left overs this evening....Bubble & Squeak with poached eggs

Now, the millions of readers of Yesterdays post are probably eagerly awaiting my follow up....Monday night Bubble & Squeak. I appreciate this is somewhat late in the evening for a 'what to cook for dinner' post but as my Mum is my main reader and she happens to be on a cruise at the moment I think I can be forgiven!

Bubble & Squeak, the old school Sunday evening dish of wonder. I absolutely loved it, Grandad (Nunks) frying up the leftover potatoes and veg, cooking up a few sausages and adding a dollop of HP sauce. Et voila, the not so naked chef had created a dish of homely delight. And then I grew up, forgot about it and resigned the leftovers to the dog/food composting bin. Until now, B & S is back and better than ever.

The original recipe (bottom of page) called for bacon to be added. I don't eat bacon so we had poached eggs on top instead. Any road up really.

Here is the finished product:

Now, I will be the first to admit it hardly seems worthy of its own blog post. But it is, I promise, it really is!

Ingredients:

2 x cloves of garlic
1 x medium onion
1 x dessertspoon of oil of your choice
Seasoning
Any herbs or spices you fancy - we went with Aromat and smoked paprika 
Left over vegetables and boiled/mashed potatoes

Method:

1. Heat a frying pan over a medium flame and add oil
2. Add minced garlic and chopped onion
3. Mash left over veg and potatoes together using a potato masher
4. When garlic and onion are beginning to brown add veg/potato mix to pan
5. Pat down to flatten mix (and allow for browning the underside)
6. Season to taste and add any additional flavourings you fancy- go wild, YOLO
7. Turn mix with spatula and pat down again
8. When mix is piping hot with lots of crispy, fried patches turn out onto plate

I am going to be making more effort to use our 'leftovers' in creative and tasty ways. All to often in the past they have hit the bin and I am determined that won't happen anymore. We have some left over beef from lunch which I am going to be using tomorrow night to make homemade rissoles

The original (if slightly more methodical recipe) can be found here:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/164622/bubble-and-squeak






No comments:

Post a Comment